Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Monday 3 February 2014

The votings over....but which sandwich filling won?

Hello there,

Well, yesterday our latest poll closed...thank you to everyone who voted and joined in our various chats on Twitter and Facebook all about sandwich fillings!

We gave you quite a traditional choice of afternoon tea sandwich fillings to pick from....there was egg mayonnaise, cucumber, salmon, coronation chicken, ham or the option to pick "other". The firm favourite was egg mayonnaise with 32% of the votes, this was closely followed by cucumber at 24% and my personal favourite coronation chicken with 20% of the votes.


Afternoon tea sandwiches

So, how do you make a good egg mayonnaise sandwich...I'm by no means perfect, but this is what I do....

You will need:

  1. Two slices of white bread, buttered with the crusts cut off 
  2. One large egg
  3. A dollop of mayonnaise (I prefer full fat Heinz mayo, but you may have another favourite brand!)
  4. Seasoning (if you must)
So, I said it....white bread....yes, its not the most healthy variety (and I prefer full fat mayo for this sandwich!)...but if I'm honest I will always pick white bread for my egg sandwiches....it just tastes better!

What to do:
  1. You first need to boil your egg, I prefer a hard boiled egg for my sandwiches, but I know this will vary person to person so why not experiment with your boiling! 
  2. Once boiled, I peel the egg and leave it to cool (nothing worse than a hot egg mayonnaise sandwich!).
  3. Once cooled I mash my egg with a fork and then add a good dollop of mayonnaise. Now mix well. At this stage please add seasoning to taste, you could also add some chopped chives or a handful of cress if you fancy something a little bit different.
  4. You then need to top one piece of bread with your egg mixture, making sure you have egg from one side of the bread to the other (don't miss any bit out!). Once you are happy with your coverage, add the top slice of bread and press down (not too firmly or your filling will ooze from the sides!). 
  5. Now take a sharp knife and cut your sandwich into delicate fingers and enjoy!
More afternoon tea sandwiches

I hope you've enjoyed our recent poll - I've definitely enjoyed hearing about everyones favourite sandwiches. 

Watch out for a new poll coming soon!

Thanks for popping by today,
Rachel

No comments: