Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Wednesday 7 October 2015

Recipe Time.....let's make fudge-ish!

Hello there,

Welcome back to Tea With Me and Friends, I hope you are well today!

I thought I would share with you today a really, really simple recipe that I tried for the first time this weekend....perfect for making a sweet treat to accompany an afternoon tea spread. Yes, we are making fudge....now don't groan...because this is a cheats recipe! No need for fancy sugar thermometers or long recipes....in fact this recipe only has two ingredients! That's why I've called it "fudge-ish"....because I'm not entirely sure it is fudge.....however I have served my fudge-ish to unsuspecting guests this weekend and no one blinked an eye!

Fudge-ish from Tea With Me and Friends

It looks scrummy doesn't it....and no one needs to know that you didn't slave away over the hob to make it....I won't tell if you don't!

So, I found a recipe a while ago on the Internet...on one of those tip/life hack sites, but I have tweaked the original recipe slightly...mainly because I didn't have enough of the ingredients in my kitchen....but it worked out well so I am sticking with these amounts.

To make a batch of fudge-ish you will need:
1 can of condensed milk - 397g (I used that well known variety but I'm sure an own brand would work just as well!)
300g milk chocolate cut into small pieces (the smaller the better)
1 shallow baking tray, well oiled to prevent sticking (this is very important)
1 microwave
space in your fridge to chill your fudge-ish

Now...are you ready....to make the fudge-ish....

  • Put the condensed milk in a microwave save bowl, add the chocolate and stir well so all the chocolate is covered
  • Put your bowl in the microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes, remove and stir well. Don't worry if all the chocolate isn't melted to start with, as you stir it will all melt down and the mixture will start to thicken
  • Once you have a nice, thick mixture resist the urge to stick your finger in the bowl (however tempting) and instead pour it into your prepared baking tray. Smooth over the top with a spatula
  • Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours (the longer the better really), once set cut into small pieces to serve. Your fudge-ish is best served cold and it's definitely worth letting it chill properly in the first place otherwise you end up with a gooey mess that is hard to cut (yes, that's experience talking there!)
A nice addition to an afternoon tea spread - a plate of homemade fudge

You can either enjoy this plain - it has a slightly chocolately taste, and is rich and creamy. Or if you fancy something a little different, once the mixture is ready to chill add a little sea salt to the top and press down slightly into the mixture.

If you want a more chocolately taste, simply add a bit more chocolate in the first place.

I hope you enjoy this recipe - if you give it a go let me know how you get on! Send us a photo of your fudge-ish on Twitter or Facebook!

Thank you for popping by today,
Rachel 

No comments: