Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Wednesday 30 December 2015

Something Beau-tea-ful....green tea body scrub!

Hello there,

Welcome back to Tea With Me and Friends - we hope you've had a tea-riffic Christmas!

We've been a little bit quiet here at Tea Towers over the last week, but never fear...we're back with lots of of scrummy afternoon tea photos and tea articles!

Today, I thought I would share something a little bit different with you....we all know that tea is brilliant and we drink a lot of it here at Tea Towers...we've also been known to bake with it and even tried it in our sandwiches when we visited Piacha earlier this year. That got me thinking about how else we could use tea and I started researching homemade beauty products.

Beau-tea-ful body scrub

Now I love a good body scrub and so when I found recipes for green tea body scrubs I thought I would give them a try. We all know the benefits of green tea when we drink it...full of antioxidants and good stuff.....but apparently its also beneficial if used in skin care too.

This recipe is really simple, with only four ingredients....

Green tea body scrub ingredients

To fill one 10oz jar you will need...

200g brown sugar (you can use white if you prefer)
100g coconut oil (that's 100g whilst it's still solid)
2 green tea bags
2 tsp matcha powder

I used Lucy Bee raw coconut oil as that's what I happened to have in my kitchen cupboard, I measured out 100g and then melted it.

For the matcha powder I didn't have any pure powder at home (shock horror) but I did have some Pukka tea supreme matcha green, which is a combination of green tea leaves and matcha powder. I used two of these bags for this pot of scrub.


To make the scrub, pour the coconut oil into the brown sugar and combine until all the sugar has been coated - make sure you mix well. Then simply add in the tea leaves and powder and combine.

This will give you quite a dry looking scrub....

Green tea body scrub

However, once combined with water the scrub worked well. If however you prefer something a bit wetter, add a little more coconut oil. Once happy with your scrub put it in an air tight container.

The scrub works well, the sugar is courser than I thought it would be, but is well balanced by the coconut oil. Once rinsed you are left with really smooth skin, with a light coconut fragrance.

All in all I was rather pleased with my first homemade beau-tea-ful product!

Tea With Me and Friends and the
beau-tea-ful green tea body scrub!

UPDATE.....

When I returned to my body scrub a little later it was rather dry and hard to handle - it still worked as a brilliant scrub, but it was a bit crumbly and hard to pick out of the jar. I would therefore add a little more coconut oil to my mix next time!

Have you got any tea beauty products that you've tried - we'd love to hear about them! Leave a comment below.....

Thank you for popping by today,
Rachel

No comments: